Friday, November 30, 2012

Candy Making 2012

I say this every year about this post but it truely is one of my favorite posts of the year I do, Candy Making.  This year we were blessed with even having the chance to do it because my Grandpa Tuttle has been diagnosed with interstacial lung disease( pulminary fibrosis) and he's on oxygen now 24/7 and is really really sick.  So Grandma Tuttle had to have that discussion with him if he was even up to having all the company and commotion around that intels in candy making and im so glad that together they decided to move forward with it.  We did alot of video taping cause you just never know if their will be another opportunity to do it, and it still was an enjoyable experience, as I sleep over and spend the whole weekend with them and try and help my grandma with all her cleaning and whatever else she needs help with while I am there, and it was alot this year as she is the cargiver all the time for grandpa so alot of her time is dedicated to him, we pray for him daily that he can get better so they can travel down south where the air is alot better to breath down there, but for now we love him close in bountiful.
We cut back on alot of candy because we werent sure how many days and how much time we had to do all of it but weird thing is, is we added 3 new candies to our collection. It was so much fun.  This year Braken wanted to try and help dip so we let him give it a try and he was a natural lol that makes me happy cause now I can put him to work and take Grandpa Tuttles spot of running trays, he didn't like being bossed around though by 4 women I think after an hour he wanted to go home and couldn't but for the most part he thought it was pretty cool, he was looking forward to licking his hand with all the chocolate on it, and what better thing to be able to play in chocolate and make a mess and not get in trouble for it lol right?  Our ususal candy we do is: Turtles, Mints, Pretzels, Peanut Clusters, Pecan Logs and Peanut Brittle.  Our NEW CANDY is: Rolo's, Fudge and Toffee.  And they are all absolutely amazing. I was so proud of us for pulling it off perfect. Thanks Grandma & Grandpa Tuttle for sharing your house with us to do this every year! We Love You Guys. 




Grandma Tuttle and Lyndi finishing Pecan Logs



Me and Braken molding our mints to get ready to dip them in chocolate



Funny story about Braken helping is NoBoDy has an idea of how much work, time, ingredients etc it takes to make candy even my family sometimes doesn't get it either  and the thing about it is, is I do it because I enjoy it and want too not because I have to so when Braken decided he wanted to help I figured this would be a great opportunity for him to see what goes into making these delicious treats, so I pull the mold out which we colored green and red for christmas and as I'm showing him how to do it and what to do he asks me " mom, what store do you buy this at that it looks like this" I wanted to cry lol honestly but Instead I started laughing and told him that it's homemade and you cant buy this stuff at the store that's why it takes so long, so I pulled out the video camera and he watched the vieo of us making mints and he could NOT believe that it started out as a liquid and how we made it look like what he was molding.  I was very PROUD about my candy making for once in my life.  Thanks buddy for your honesty and interest.

with us cutting back our batches of candy this year we only used 20.5lbs of chocolate




He has been waiting for this moment for a long time





He's getting it done so much he's wearing it lol  I don't think their was any left on his hand to wash off

I hate the cleaning part lol UGH


I think this was almost all the candy


No comments:

Post a Comment